Alexis Nihon was born in Liege, Belgium, in 1902, and immigrated to Canada at the age of 18. After World War II, he acquired several parcels of land on the Island of Montreal and rented them out to developers. One prime location, at the corner of Ste-Catherine Street and Atwater Avenue, was developed into a major complex by two companies, first Atwater-Western and then Montrad.
The architects, Harold Ship and Stanley King, originally envisaged Place Alexis Nihon as a multi-purpose complex combining a shopping center, office towers, residential housing and a medical center. The Place Alexis Nihon was built in 1967, and three years later, the first office tower and the Plaza Tower residences were added. The Nihon family bought the Complex in 1983, and completed the project by adding a second office tower in 1986. However, they decided against building the medical centre as originally planned.
Since then, Place Alexis Nihon has consolidated its assets, and today is home to over 100 stores, some 40 tenants in its office towers, and the residents of the Plaza Tower’s 426 apartments.
About the owner
Since March 2012, Place Alexis Nihon is owned and managed by Cominar.
Cominar is one of the largest diversified real estate investment trusts in Canada and the largest commercial property owner and manager in the province of Quebec. Our real estate portfolio includes more than 410 high-quality office, retail, and industrial properties in the provinces of Quebec and Ontario, in the Atlantic Provinces and in Western Canada and represents approximately $4.7 billion in assets.
To learn more, please visit Cominar’s website at cominar.com
Our other properties – Quebec